Blocked toilets are a common household issue that can cause a lot of inconvenience and embarrassment. While it is not a pleasant task, unblocking your toilet is necessary to avoid further damage and maintain proper hygiene. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to unblock your toilet and mention what you should avoid putting down it. If you live in Hornsby, we recommend calling a professional plumber like Plumber Hornsby to help you with the task.
What causes a blocked toilet?
Before we dive into the process of unblocking your toilet, it’s essential to understand the causes of blockages. The most common cause of a blocked toilet is flushing inappropriate items down it. Some of these items include:
- Sanitary products: Feminine hygiene products such as tampons and pads can block your toilet if flushed down.
- Wet wipes: Although marketed as flushable, wet wipes can cause a blockage in your toilet. They don’t break down like toilet paper and can quickly build up in your pipes.
- Paper towels: Unlike toilet paper, paper towels are not designed to dissolve in water. Flushing them down the toilet can cause a blockage.
- Excessive toilet paper: While toilet paper is designed to dissolve in water, using too much of it can cause a blockage. It’s important to use the right amount of toilet paper.
Now that you understand the causes of a blocked toilet, let’s move on to the steps to unblock it.
Step 1: Turn off the water supply.
Before you start unblocking your toilet, turn off the water supply to the toilet. You can do this by turning the valve located behind the toilet. This will prevent the toilet from overflowing and causing water damage.
Step 2: Try a plunger.
The next step is to try a plunger. A plunger works by creating suction, which dislodges the blockage. Place the plunger over the drain and create a seal by pushing down and pulling up the plunger. Do this several times until you hear a gurgling sound, which means the blockage has been dislodged. If you are unsure about using a plunger, you can call a professional plumber like Plumber Hornsby for help.
Step 3: Use a plumbing snake.
If the plunger does not work, try using a plumbing snake. A plumbing snake is a long, flexible coil that can be inserted into the toilet drain to dislodge the blockage. Insert the snake into the drain and turn it clockwise until you feel resistance. This means you have reached the blockage. Move the snake back and forth to dislodge the blockage. Once you feel the blockage has been cleared, flush the toilet to ensure the water flows smoothly.
Step 4: Call a professional plumber.
If the plunger and plumbing snake do not work, it’s time to call a professional plumber like Plumber Hornsby. They have the expertise and tools to deal with complex blockages and ensure your toilet is functioning properly.
What not to put down your toilet
To avoid future blockages, it’s important to know what not to put down your toilet. Here are some items you should avoid flushing down your toilet:
- Feminine hygiene products: As mentioned earlier, feminine hygiene products can cause blockages in your toilet. Dispose of them in the bin instead.
- Wet wipes: While marketed as flushable, wet wipes do not break down like toilet paper and can cause a blockage. Dispose of them in the bin instead.
- Paper towels: Paper towels are not designed to dissolve in water and can cause a blockage if flushed down the toilet.
- Food waste: Food waste can cause blockages in your pipes and attract pests.
- Grease and fat: Grease and fat can solidify in your pipes, causing blockages and unpleasant odors. Dispose of them in the bin or collect them in a container and take them to your local recycling center.
- Medications: Flushing medications down the toilet can pollute the environment and harm wildlife. Dispose of them in your local pharmacy or medication disposal center.
Gutter Cleaning in Hornsby
Apart from unblocking your toilet, it’s essential to maintain your gutters to ensure they are functioning properly. Gutters play a crucial role in directing rainwater away from your home and preventing water damage. If your gutters are clogged, water can overflow and cause damage to your roof, walls, and foundation. If you live in Hornsby, we recommend calling a professional gutter cleaning service like Gutter Cleaning Hornsby to help you with the task.
Here are some benefits of hiring a professional gutter cleaning service:
- Safety: Climbing ladders and cleaning gutters can be dangerous, especially if you are not experienced. Professional gutter cleaners have the expertise and equipment to do the job safely.
- Quality service: Professional gutter cleaners have the tools and knowledge to clean your gutters thoroughly and ensure they are functioning properly.
- Time-saving: Cleaning gutters can be time-consuming, especially if you have a large house. Hiring a professional gutter cleaning service can save you time and effort.
- Preventive maintenance: Regular gutter cleaning can prevent damage to your roof, walls, and foundation and save you money in the long run.
Unblocking your toilet can be a daunting task, but with the right tools and knowledge, it can be done easily. Remember to avoid flushing inappropriate items down your toilet to prevent future blockages. If you are unsure about unblocking your toilet, it’s always best to call a professional plumber. Additionally, maintaining your gutters is crucial to prevent water damage to your home. Consider hiring a professional gutter cleaning service like Gutter Cleaning Hornsby to ensure your gutters are functioning properly.